Tuesday 21 February 2017

Keeping Kids Safe | NSPCC | Schooling Project



Keeping kids safe? Something that every parent wants to get on board with, right? 
Exactly my thoughts when L-B's school announced they were going to be introducing a new project through the NSPCC, all about keeping kids safe, online, offline, in school, at home, you get the gist right? 

So when the principle arranged a parent's information session, I attended, I listened to what the kids in each age group throughout the school were going to be learning about, and what the course entailed. I was up for letting L-B learn and listen to everything. I mean, this was an opportunity for her to learn more about keeping herself safe, because after all, I can't wrap her up in cotton wool, and I certainly can't be with her 24/7 , and as much as I drill safety nets into her head, I know that she will push boundaries with me.. so with a teacher explaining all this to her, then she will end up fully understanding, so I signed, sealed and delivered the permission slip. 

This course sounds fantastic, I'm not going to lie. Obviously, now that the course has started, and the homeworks are coming home, I don't know what the older children in the school are learning, and obviously with the different age groups, the younger kids are not going to be learning the same as the older kids.. But so far, I've been impressed with what L-B has been getting taught. 

They aren't just covering stranger danger, they are covering all areas. Abuse, Mental, Physical, Emotional at home, or anywhere. 
Online Dangers, such as social medias etc.. 
Finding out who a child can talk to if they are worried, upset, frightened etc.. 
Which I do agree, is great for them. Children of this age, should know all of this. They need it.. which is why I gave permission for my daughter to be taught it. 

BUT 


The last two lessons (week before last, as she was off for half term) and this week, L-B has come out of school, really upset, in such a foul mood, then just randomly bursts into tears, for no reason whatsoever. 
Questioning her after the last lesson, she said they watched a video, and it made her sad. 
Then today, after this weeks lesson, I asked her had anything happened in school to upset her.. and she said again about the video, this time it was about a girl getting scared because of a monsters shadow on her wall or something. 
Assuming, this was part of teaching them that if your scared, to speak out.. which is great. 

However, I'm not sure, why she's getting so upset over these videos? 
I've spoken to other mum's to find out if their child has reacted the same way, but it seems to be only L-B. So I am a tad confused. 
Not sure if the videos genuinely are frightening her, or if she feels that she has to be upset for the people in the videos after watching them. 

I don't want to ask that she be pulled from these lessons, because I want her to learn this stuff, I want her to know everything that she's going to be taught and that it isn't only strangers that can cause her harm.. but I also don't want to see her crying and getting herself that upset, and ending up in hysterics over it. 

It is only once a week though, so I know nothing else in school, is getting to her. 
So, the predicament is.. 
  1.  Do I speak to the teacher? and find out if she can be excluded from even just watching the video bit.. I would prefer she learn all this, but if there's a way she can maybe learn it without the need of the video..  OR 
  2. Just comfort her whenever she comes home each week, and let her know that it's OK, that it was only a video, it wasn't real.. and try and talk her round a bit, let her know I'm there, if she needs to talk about it, if it's upsetting her that much?   

I honestly don't know why it's having this much of an impact on her, when the rest of the kids (at least those, whose mothers I've spoken with) seem to be fine, but she's literally crying! 

 photo Collage_zpsnyzjigdb.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment